Matthew I. Henzi
A partner at AsherKelly, Matthew I. Henzi is a trial attorney with 22 years of experience in all phases of litigation—including administrative hearings, jury trials, and appellate hearings.
Matt represents multiemployer fringe benefit funds, municipal retirement and health systems, as well as businesses, insurers, and individuals. He handles ERISA litigation arising from delinquent contributions, breach of fiduciary duty claims, benefit claims, and subrogation.
A significant portion of Matt’s practice is devoted to representing municipal retirement and health systems on all aspects of state and federal law.
In 2019, Mr. Henzi obtained a much publicized decision in the Michigan Supreme Court which upheld a $3.5 million award obtained by his client, a retiree health care trust.
Matt has significant experience handling complex civil and commercial litigation and resolving disputes without litigation for businesses, insurers, and individuals, including matters involving personal injury defense and wrongful discharge.
Matt served his community as Chairman of the Livonia Zoning Board of Appeals from 2003-2018.
Matt is rated by Martindale Hubbell as AV Preeminent, the highest rating for ethical standards and legal ability.
- Michigan Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Toledo Bar Association
- Michigan Association of Public Employee Retirement Systems (MAPERS)
- International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans (IFEBP)
- Michigan, 1997
- New York, 2015
- Ohio, 2017
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1997
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2010
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 2011
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Ohio, 2017
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2018